Friday 14 September 2012

We are heading north now on the west coast. We set out from Te Anua at about 10am in proofing rain, which did not stop allllllll day. We headed for Queenstown which took a little over 2 hours.  Part of the road was along the huge lake that the town is built next to. The views as normal were fantastic.the town itself was vert commercial and geared mainly around skiing. We drove around had a look but didn't stop. We had thought to ride the cable car, but the wind was so strong that I didn't fancy it. So we headed out to Arrowtown which is old gold mining town, lovely, quaint and very interesting. Had a good mooch round, went to the museum and had a late lunch. We then set out for Wanaka which is where my biggest nightmare of the trip started!!! I thought the road to Milford sound was bad but OMG, my nerves were in tatters!!!! This was a snake pass to end all passes. If there is a barrier I don't mind,  if there are trees I don't mind, if it's not to big a drop of the side I dont mind! But this road has none of this. It was steep, hairpin bends, no barriers, shear drop out to open space, OMG it went up and up and up. My ears were popping! Poor Bev knew how nervouse I was and did his utmost to keep me calm and not to show how nervouse he was. I didn't dare look to my right, what I could see made me feel sick, I don't like heights at the best of times, but can cope when all the safty nets are in place! But this road!!!!! How they don't loose tourists over the side daily I don't know, and the thought of driving one of those high vans , makes my blood run cold!!! We climed and climed, and as we got to the top we turned the corner to find we had to still climb!!! One of the thoughts I had was, OMG I have to go down the other side!!! We started to hit snow, not much but enough to worry about the Ice on the road. When the chain laybys counted down to one, we new we were at the top!!!phew!!!! Well as you see we are still here so we made it safe and sound!!!!! And the road down was not bad. it was a gentle slop but still a snakey and very windy. I am sure when the maps say 30 km, that is how the crow flys. This road was far more than 30 km!!!!!! Bev said well done and "you can dine out on that one for years to come," to be honest I don't want to ever think about it ever again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment